In a recent poll among nearly 200 strategic planners, I asked: What part of the strategic plan often is missing?
- A vibrant strategic planning workshop?
- A clear, compelling and visual strategic plan?
- Effective tracking, communication about goals, and celebration of results?
- Or, all of the above?
The overwhelming answer revealed true confessions!
Strategic planning experts – even those from large, international organizations – admitted ALL of the above were missing!
The short answer? A clear, customizable strategic planning framework is missing in most organizations.
The longer answer? Even strategic planning leaders may lack awareness regarding the major components of a strategic planning program, from conducting a vibrant workshop or series of meeting where trends and strategies are discussed, to developing and implementing strategic goals, to tracking and sharing results. A company may be good at gathering strategy teams, for example, but may fail to engage all employees in meaningful conversations about their department and their personal work goals.
Also, the strategic planning experts indicated that goal tracking, and communication about strategic plan progress often are missing.
If the strategic planning experts from large companies are saying this,
what does it mean for organizations with limited strategic planning expertise?
The answer: All organizations need a trusted, easy-to-use framework to modernize strategic planning and focus on creating a life-changing workshop, written plan, and goal tracking system leading to communicated and celebrated strategic impact.
In my book, Strategic Impact: A Leader’s Three-Step Framework for the Customized Vital Strategic Plan, I focus on customizing the following framework:
the Strategic Planning Workshop
(the Shared Leadership Experience)
the Written Strategic Plan
(the Shared Story of Strategic Intent)
the System for Tracking and Communicating Results
(the Shared Goal Outcomes—this is Strategic Impact)
This clear, comprehensive framework enables leaders to customize a strategic planning program that works best for their organizations, and ALSO to:
- Declutter the typically complicated strategic planning process.
- Deliver a destiny-shaping program in an efficient, budget-conscious way—including mission-driven small businesses and nonprofits with limited resources.
- Plan and lead a life-changing leadership workshop experience culminating in strategic goals.
- Craft a compelling written strategic plan which can be digitized and communicated through social media.
- Implement an effective tracking and communication system to monitor progress and ensure accountability.
- Engage employees, customers and key audiences in celebrating your organization’s strategic impact.
Carol A. Poore, Ph.D., MBA, is President of Poore and Associates Strategic Planning and author of Strategic Impact: A Leader’s Three-Step Framework for the Customized Vital Strategic Plan, published by Fast Company Press in January 2021. See her blog at CarolPoore.com.